After 7 flights, 5 hotels, unknown miles, and many different modes of transportation...we have arrived safe and sound back in good ole Moses Lake. Thanks be to God.
Our last 2 days at the Hong Kong Disney proved to be a wonderful time for our family. It was a perfect ending to what was, in many ways, the perfect trip. The main thing was the Ming seemed to have the time of his life. I believe Caryn mentioned in an earlier blog that when she told Ming that we were going to Disneyland, he actually teared up. My sense of it was that our time there was everything he hoped it would be. The rides, the shows, and just the energy of it all. And we capped it all off with a late night swim before the piano shaped pool closed down at 10pm.
Caryn and I then stayed up way too late getting everything packed back in our bags for a very long day of travel. I think we got 3-4 hours of sleep before the 4:45am alarm jolted us back into the land of the living. We were down in the lobby by 5:45am for our taxi ride to the airport. And thus began our "Two Friday" day. The first Friday was the 14 or 15 hours of air travel that took us from Hong Kong to Tokyo, and Tokyo to Seattle. We landed in Seattle at 9am, less than an hour after we took off from Hong Kong (taking into account crossing the international date line). It's a good thing we had our time travel glasses on!
Touching down in Seattle began our "2nd Friday"...and it also was essentially the moment that Ming became a U.S. citizen (made official when customs stamped his passport and cleared him for entry). The weather in Seattle couldn't have been more perfect...80 and sunny. It truly was a wonderful welcome back to the States. We were all worn a bit slick, but not too bad considering the journey. Customs took a bit longer than we anticipated, but the great news was that by 11am, we were claiming all of our luggage, and being greeted by the Bailey family who brought our car back to the airport for us...complete with some nice fruit and delicious chocolate chip cookies (thanks so much!).
We still had a 3 hour drive up and over Snoqualmie Pass, and down into the Columbia Basin. But not before the joy of $4.40 gasoline, and some Starbucks. The drive...and in fact ALL of our travel...was smooth and completely uneventful. You really can't ask for more than that. We rolled into a pleasant and wonderfully sunny Moses Lake around 3pm this afternoon.
The rest of the day has been: 1) fighting off sleep, 2) showing Ming his new home, 3) fighting off more sleep, 4) enjoying a delicious meal compliments of the Alcorns, 5) getting our PJ's washed, 6) allowing the kids to play off some pent-up energy (they got some sleep on the flights...Mom and I didn't get a wink), and 7) just now getting them all tucked down for the night with Ming in the bed that has been waiting for him since last September 15.
As a family, we thank God for his watch-care over us.
We also thank all of you for following our journey, and holding us up in your thoughts and prayers. We have been completely blessed, and are acutely aware of your support. This concludes one chapter, and begins another. We can't promise a nightly blog as we've maintained these past 2 weeks, but we'll update regularly...so please check back often. Ming is a very brave young man...more brave than any of us realize. He has faced all of these massive changes head on and full of courage. We have no doubt that will only continue. Please pray that he gets a handle on the english language in a God-accelerated manner. And pray for our family as we now work him smoothly (we hope) into the operating systems of our family.
And one more thing before we finally put our heads on our pillow after being up somewhere around 32 hours...if God is tweeking at your heart regarding adoption, please at least be willing to pray about it. There are so many children in this world that are longing for a loving home. Ming is one of millions. He and Jamae are two that God intended for our family. Might He be intending one for yours? We are the first to admit that it is a HUGE leap of faith. But that's precisely the life that our Master has called us to. We follow an unpredictable carpenter. And what a ride it is.
11 comments:
Welcome Home, Bowser 8!
Hugs and blessings to each and every one of you. (As we were talking about your travels, we were listening to the VBS songs...again, Logan was trying to place Madison and little Landon said "that is Jamae's sister" and Logan added "that's Pastor Jody's little girls!") It made my heart warm to see these little connections from our family to yours! God Bless you all as your journey begins in full!
Welcome home and congratulations on your wonderful family. I have loved following your journey, Ming seems like a wonderful boy, I love his smile and seeing how happy he is. It has been very encouraging to me as we wait to travel for our 13 year old daughter who is waiting in China.
Hallelujah!!!!!! We are so thrilled for you guys...welcome home!!
We will be checking back to see more updates and watch Ming blossom over the coming days, weeks and months!!!
God Bless you!!
Shelley, David, Aly and Lili Swindler
I have been blessed to follow this incredible journey that God allowed you to have. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my knee bothering me and I'd head for the computer to see if your nightly blog had been posted yet. I often had tears in my eyes with gratefulness for our great God, working in your family. I love Ming's big smile and am praying for quick learning of English for him. Welcome home!! GOD IS GOOD!!
Jan Gallop
Praise the Lord for His goodness to you for the "uneventful" trip to China to retrieve your son. I am so thankful you allowed us to join you on this journey... please continue to keep us posted. I wish I could see all of you Sunday morning... but I will be there fair week and am excited to see you then. Bowser8 is now my desktop picture, replacing the terrific teens (& adults) who ventured to Burkina Faso. I will continue to uphold you as Ming steps out in his new "shoes" as a Bowser. God bless you all!!! Much love, Chris Rosborough
I'm so glad you all are home! I can't wait to love on all of you!:) Ming, I'm dying to meet you!
-Alisa
Look at you... the Bowser Eight, who were the Bowser Three when I met you in 1993. It is a delight to watch your family grow...please know your friends in Denver are praying for you and rejoicing over Ming's arrival!!
Welcome back Bowsers! You have been greatly missed! Sounds like everything is heading in a good direction. I can't wait to get back to WA and meet you, Ming! Hope you have a wonderful week.
Welcome home Bowser family! LOVE the way you ended your post! Praying many more open their hearts to adoption, it is a gift from God!
Hope you all get some rest!
So awesome to see how you guys are sharing your lives and your love!
Great to read about Scott & Elisa in there, as well. I'm sure you guys are a great encouragement to them!
I am a little disturbed about the Ohio State clothing...
Dear Bowsers, We followed your first journey to China while we waited for our little one in 2005. It is wonderful to see Ming safely home as well. Thank you for beautifully showing the gospel through your family. In Christ, the Sprague Family
Post a Comment