Tuesday, July 1, 2008

July 1

Today was a great day as we tried to take in some of the sights of Fuzhou. We did this for us and for Ming. We certainly want to visit some of the highlights of Fuzhou, but we especially want Ming to have memories of Fuzhou, his home city. After a wonderful breakfast at the hotel buffet, we went to the Panda Zoo here in town. They have 7 of the 100 pandas left in the world. A few of the pandas from the earthquake area have been brought here. We saw one of these pandas - he has lost a leg and eyesight in one eye because of the earthquake. The zoo director was very glad to have us visiting his zoo and really went out of his way to accommadate us. Our guide told us that he was treating us like he would royalty. Here is a picture of the zoo director with Jody, Jay and Ming.

We really enjoyed spending time seeing the pandas. The director even brought us to a place where we could see them up close.



Ming had never had the opportunity to see the pandas, so I was so glad that we were able to see them with him. He seemed to really enjoy it. We also had our guide tell him that on the way home, we are going to Disneyland. How fun to see his reaction. He gave me (Caryn) a huge hug. He said that he has always dreamed of going to Disneyland. I am so thankful we put that in our trip.
We then went to see the "hero" of Fuzhou's home and went to a tea ceremony. It was very interesting. Jesse and Mitchell did not seem to see it as fun, but Ming enjoyed it. He likes tea, so we bought some dragon tea (the tea of Fuzhou) so we can make him some tea at home that he is used to.
After a lunch of KFC, we came back to the hotel to swim. Ming had told us that he knows how to swim. I believe that he has been in a swimming pool before, but he doesn't know how to swim. I only had to rescue him one time and then he learned his boundaries. We had a wonderful time relaxing in the pool.

We decided to take Ming down to the rec area and see if he really knows how to play ping pong like we had been told. Wow! he is really good. Jody did manage to beat him, but he gave him a run for his money. Ming also wanted to try pool although he had never played it before. He caught on really fast.

It has been such a day full of blessings. Ming is such a wonderful boy. So full of life. I know that this change must be very hard for him, but he is so brave. I feel like he is completely embracing us as his family. He understands what is happenning and seems to be okay with it. The language barrier does make things hard as we can't talk to him like we would if we both spoke the same language, but we are getting by with our limited chinese and gestures. A smile goes a long way. He is getting along wonderfully with the kids, in fact he is playing on his DS with the boys right now.

Please think of him tomorrow as we go to visit his orphanage. We have come to learn that he has been living in a wonderful group home these last 3 years, who have become his family. I know he is excited to show us where he has been living, but it will be a very sad day for his as he says his final goodbyes. Yesterday, after we came into the hotel room after receiving him, he immediantly tried to call someone on the telephone. He could not get the number to work. Through our guide, we found out that he was trying to call one of his caretakers at the orphanage to tell him that he was ok. Thankfully, today he was able to call them and connect with the caregiver. I am so thankful that he feels loved and cared for by the workers at his orphanage. I am fully confident that he will be able to also love us, his new family.

9 comments:

Mama Ohs said...

I am so glad that everything seems to be coming together so well. What a great day of taking in the culture. I love to see Ming's face so full of smiles and life in every picture. We will continue to pray for all of you!

Kooky said...

Oh Caryn. The more I read about Ming, the more I am totally seeing the realization that Ming is destined for something HUGE in the Lord! Your transition is so smooth. What a joy! I feel as if we are hanging on to every single word you say about Ming! What a blessing! AMEN!

Still praying for tomorrow to be full of joy and a little sadness as he says goodbye! Be blessed!!! (i know you are)

Kristen & Roy

Jessica said...

I can tell from the pics that Ming is so sweet. I just love staring at the pics of him. He definitely takes his ping-pong playing serious...Jody has met his match! We will be praying for Ming during his visit to the orphanage. Love to you and God bless!

Heather @ Multiple Hats said...

Thanks for the updates, Caryn. It's been great to share the journey. We are praying for Ming and for your whole family. Looks like it will turn out to be a fabulous trip for you all. Take care-

Heather Messer

Vanessa said...

It's wonderful seeing your family and Ming finally together and everyone seems so happy! I'll be praying as you visit the orphanage today and looking forward to meeting you in a few days in Guangzhou!
Vanessa Hammond and family

Sandi said...

What a blessing, I anxiously look each day for the latest blog and news of your travels! I am so excited for you and Ming, and so happy that he IS happy!! I love double clicking on your pictures to see everyone real close up! All of your eyes dance with such love, its contagious! Ming will come home to a whole community who loves him!

Jay said...

Very Cool Bowser family!
You have all been in my prayers and am excited to see the excitement and love in the pictures. I understand more about the communication wall since Nicaragua.
Keeping you all in prayer.

Jay Smith

This N That For Health said...

How exciting!! I am typing this through tears of joy!! I can't wait to meet Ming and will be praying for you guys!!
:) Kelly Wemp

Wife of the Pres. said...

So glad to see you all with Ming. You all waited so long! I love the story about ping pong. How cool is that! And to see him with the Nintendo. Great stuff. You all must be overwhelmed in a good way with God blessing you with your new son. Praising Him alongside you for this special miracle!
Leslie (fellow AWAA SN family not so paitently waiting for RA)
youbelong.net/theirwins