After a very brief 4 hours of sleep in a very nice Hong Kong hotel (the Novotel CityGate...just a couple miles from the airport), we were up at 5 and on the airport shuttle at 6am. The airport was very un-crowded at that early hour, and we breezed through check-in and security...leaving us plenty of time for breakfast in the airport and a little down time by the gate. We then boarded and were in the air by 8:50am for our hour and twenty minute flight up to Fuzhou. Once again we encountered absolutely no problems on the arriving end, retrieved all our luggage, and walked out of the airport to a greeting by our new guide, Katharine. She escorted us to our ground transport, and began the 1 hour drive to our hotel, the Lakeside. On the drive we were soon informed that Ming would be joining us immediately after our arrival to the hotel, and that we were going to take care of all of the "official business" this afternoon...including signing the adoption papers, going before the judge, and having the entire deal notarized. Bam! Hey...why not. That's what we're here to do, so let's get this show on the road.
I will say that the anxiety level for all of us kicked up a notch or several. Katherine was able to give us a few details that she knew of regarding Ming's orphanage which were actually very encouraging. She knew that Ming has been in the "Children's Hope Home", which is a separate building and independently funded program on the orphanage grounds that a good number of the older children (we've since learned that Ming has been one of 22 children) live in and are very well cared for. She also provided us with a questionnaire that was filled out on Ming's behalf, telling us that Ming is a healthy, outgoing and athletic boy.
We got to the hotel. Were shown up to our rooms. And immediately received a call that Ming was waiting for us in a conference room on the 3rd floor. All righty...let's do it!
Before I show you several pictures, I'll tell you that Ming looked just like his pictures (we weren't quite sure how old the pictures we had actually were, and whether he had changed much or not), that I found it very cool to see him in the Ohio State shirt that we sent out, and that the mood in the room was electric...
We signed a few documents indicating that we would be his legal guardian for the next few hours until he was officially adopted, and then went up to the room to hang out. I can tell you that he seemed genuinely excited and thankful to be with us. There were flashes of immediate affection, he clearly knew how to pronounce the kids names, he seemed to know a few words in English, and began calling Caryn and I "mother" and "father." We could see right away that Ming is a very active boy, he's not at all shy, and very inquisitive. He really seemed to take to Jamae, and began calling her "baby!". She wouldn't stand for that, and soon began shouting back, "I'm not a baby!". It was heartwarming.
Two things I'll highlight from our 2 hours back in the room. One was the fact that he pulled out of his belongings the photo album that we had sent. He seemed very proud of it. He then pulled out a separate little photo album of pictures of himself and some of his friends from the orphanage. But what he did next was VERY telling and important. He began taking the pictures of himself out of the one album, and inserting them in the blank spaces of our family album. The significance of this was immediately evident. He was already picturing himself as part of OUR FAMILY. Here's a picture that we snapped as he was doing this...
The other notable thing was the look on his face when he discovered his Nintendo GameBoy DS in the bag that we brought for him.
At 3pm, we went down to the lobby for our string of official meetings. We first went to the office of the judge, and then on to the office of the Notary Public. We of course snapped some important pictures along the way...
Everything went as smooth as could be, and by 5pm or so we were done with all the paperwork. We then stopped by WalMart to purchase some bottled water, as well as some gifts to take to the orphanage when we visit on Wednesday. It was special for Ming to pick out some gifts that he knew the kids would appreciate, including some various "American" bags of chips, some candy, and several movies...including "The Bee Movie" dubbed into Chinese. It was Ming's first trip ever to a place like WalMart, and he seemed a bit overwhelmed. It was a taste of his new life.
And finally, we stopped at a very nice restaurant for a celebration meal in our own private dining room. Our guide, Katharine, raised a toast of Sprite to Ming...and the conversation was very easy and fun. We learned during the meal that Ming clearly calls himself a Christian, and seemed very excited that I am a pastor. He also bowed his head in prayer, and clearly understood words like "prayer", "Pastor", and "church". How about that.
That's enough for now. It's been a very full day, and we're all exhausted. Thanks for your prayers, and enjoy the pictures of a family that used to be 7...and is now 8!
32 comments:
I've never met any of you, but I had tears in my eyes as I read this post! Congratulations and we'll keep praying for your family during this special bonding time!
Kristi
fellow AWAA family
Praise the Lord for His faithfulness both to Ming and all of you! I was excited to see pictures of my new cousin! Can't wait for the chance to finally be able to meet him and see everyone again! I love you all and will keep praying for the rest of your trip!
Amazing, amazing, amazing. I am crying with so much happiness for you all! Whew...have an absolute blast the next few days with your new son. We can't wait to meet him. Hugs all around,
The Hammer Family
This is the day that the Lord has made I will REJOICE and be GLAD in it!!!!!!
Bowser family, tears of joy are falling from my face to see your beautiful son with his family. HE looks so very happy,God has done AMAZING things! He has heard the cries of so many hearts.
Thank you for allowing us to share in this amazing journey. Ming is very loved by so many, especially his heavenly father! God knew Ming needed you as well as you needed Him. GOD IS SO VERY GOOD!!!! We have been praying for your family, and from reading your post many of those prayers have already been answered! We are standing in awe of all that God has done!
We will continue to pray for each of you. Please give your family and Ming our love. I feel so blessed to be able to share in your joy!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! We REJOICE with you in ALL that God has done! "May Christ dwell in your hearts through faith;that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory.
Ephesians3:18-21
We send our love and prayers to you, with much love, The Strands
Mike, Sarah, Henry, Mae and Esther.
Congratulations, Bowser family! We are THRILLED for you! It's awfully early to have tears pouring out of my eyes (Staci's), but they are happy tears. God is so great! I love his mercy, grace, and creativity in how he has brought Ming into your family!
You are in our thoughts and prayers! We can't wait to meet Ming!
Staci for the Copley Clan
All I can say is Praise the Lord! I've been waiting for this moment for so long and seeing Ming with your family is perfect!! I cried through the entire post.:) I can't wait until you get home and we can give you all a big squeeze. You better prepare Ming now.:) Did you tell him that he will "get to" go to Walmart all the time.:) We love you all so much and I can't even express how overjoyed we are that Ming is finally a Bowser. We look forward to seeing how the next few weeks unfold. Lifting you up...
-Alisa
What a great testimony to God being in the details! What a great start! We are thrilled for you guys and praying that this time together in China will be special for all of you.
Congratulations Bower 8 Family!!! We are overjoyed for all of you, for the transition for Ming into your family, your hearts and you into his. He looks so happy, as all of you do, what a testimony to God's faithfulness and to His exceeding above and beyond all you could ask or hope for...wow!
The Bailey's
Ming, I like your t-shirt ohio is my favorite team. They are the best college team! I have been praying for you. I hope you are having fun. I hope I can see you some day. Remember God loves you!
love, Henry Strand
Thanks Caryn, for writing your experience in detail! I had goosebumps AND tears when reading how Kevin moved his photos to the family album. And that he is already a Christian is amazing. Thank you God for your plans!
What a wonderful account of the activities of the day. Thank you so much for allowing us in and showing us such wonderful family moments. Ming looks beyond happy as do the rest of you. Congratulations on the newest addition!!!
How great is our God!! Congratulations you guys! I couldn't wait to get up this morning to read the post. Just as everyone else, I wept through the entire thing with tears of tremendous joy. Renee thought the part about Jamae was really funny. It took me a couple of minutes to regain my composure after I read that Ming was already calling you "mom and dad". Ohh My....What a beautiful and wonderful day! We love you guys!
Congratulations, Bowser Family! We are so happy for you! Loved reading your blog and can't wait to hear more. We are praying for you and are so happy to hear things are going so smoothly.
The Fraser Family
Reading your post and seeing the pictures of Ming and your family brought tears of joy! Memories of my son's adoption also came rushing back! What an exciting time for all of you! Ming seems to have the inner strength and outgoing personality that will help him make a great transition to your family and his new home!
Enjoy your time together in China!
Julia
AWAA & adoptive mom
We are so happy for you all. I had tears of joy reading how he was calling you Mother and Father. How wonderful!! We will continue to pray for you as you grow together as a family as well as your travels!
WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! Congratulations Ming!!! You are now an official member of a MOST excellent family!!!! God bless you sweet boy as you realize all the wonderful things that God has planned for you!!
To the rest of the Bowser family...I just talked with David on his cell and let him know that Ming is officially a Bowser, and through tears he said to send you his love and congratulations.
I do so from both of us!!
Have a wonderful trip!!
love to all 8 of you!!
Shelley, David, Aly and Lili
Jody I remember starting this journey with you in prayer at Starbucks. WOW how God has blessed our prayers and yours. Thank you guys for letting us share in this journey and showing others the faithfulness in the Lord you have. God bless the Bowser 8 and enjoy the rest of your time in China.
The Cook family
Go Bucks and Praise the Lord! ...as Ella would say.
Praise God for His goodness! I started tearing up reading how Ming put the pictures from his album into yours....the pictures of your new family of 8 are beautiful!
-Emily Dufault
Rejoicing with you from Akron, Ohio, too. God is good!.....Jodi
I never thought that I would love math so much as I do in this case!! I'm weeping wtih everyone reading your posts. Ming is a very blessed young man and what a ride he is going to have with the Bowser 8. May God continue to bless your journey. We can't wait to see him hanging out with the other kids at church. His moving pics was such a key for a new begining. Can't wait to see you guys back home with ALL of your family. Love, The Stolsig 4
I never thought that I would love math so much as I do in this case!! I'm weeping wtih everyone reading your posts. Ming is a very blessed young man and what a ride he is going to have with the Bowser 8. May God continue to bless your journey. We can't wait to see him hanging out with the other kids at church. His moving pics was such a key for a new begining. Can't wait to see you guys back home with ALL of your family. Love, The Stolsig 4
Congratulations and God bless you all! What a wonderful testimony of God's care every detail: for your travels, His preparation of Ming for the transition and a smooth process with the paperwork. Praise God for what He is doing through all of you for the glory of His kingdom!
Bruce, Deanna and Steven Noonan
Being one of the ones who pitched in to buy Ming his birthday cake, it brought tears to my eyes to see you all now a family. Seems like it has been a long road for Ming and I am thrilled he is so happy! Wishing you a wonderful rest of your trip and will be watching to see you all in HK! (Never heard back from you, hope your plans worked out okay, I know you've been busy)
Take Care!
Blessings,
Tina
Congrats Bowser Family!
We've been following your journey to Ming and we're so happy for you all!
May the Lord bless your time together in China and when you arrive home.
Love,
The Hubbard Family
I am so thrilled for you all and cannot wait to meet your new addition! I'm thankful God granted you safe and uneventful passage, and I pray your trip home is as wonderful. It will be a blessing to see our home through Ming's fresh eyes. Welcome to the family! May God bless you! Please warn Ming that Walmart is pretty much the ONLY place to shop. :) Much love and prayers...the Pruett Family
Now all Ming needs is a fanny pack. =)
Caryn and Jody! CONGRATULATIONS! Oh, wow, reading how Ming moved his pictures over was such a God centered/God orchestrated show of love to do! I tell ya, Ming KNOWS his family already! That is the most blessed thing to see ever!!! HAPPY DAYS are in your horizons guys! AMEN!
Kristen & Roy (from the 1st Travel group)
Congratulations on everything going so beautifully!!! God is so Good to those that are faithful!!! We are a fellow AWAA family waiting, and our first daughter is from Fuzhou. I hope you enjoy it there as much as we did! There is an amazing little side restaurant, off the main road from the hotel take a left and it is not far on the left, and they have the BEST dumplings!!! Our daughter gobbled them up. Maybe your guide could help you find it. Yum Yum for authentic food.
Blessings and prayers for you. What an amazing story you have shared.
Blessings,
Dawn Dagenbach
YEAH!!!!! I am soooo excited to read about my new nephew!!! The preparation and excitement and reactions are so special - Jody, I even think he has your chin :-) We'll keep praying for the rest of your trip.....and for the newest member of our family! Love you guys so much!!!!
You don't know me, but I am a fellow AWAA family and this post just brought tears to my eyes. It is so wonderful to see Ming doing so well. The part of him praying and being excited about you being a pastor is just wonderful. What a true blessing all around.
Keri
Congratulations Bowser family! As I read your update I too have tears running down my face. I could not wait for this day for all of you! Praise God!
Fellow AWAA WC Family
Post a Comment