Sunday, June 29, 2008

Safe & Sound in Hong Kong

We made it! It is now 11:45pm on Sunday China time...8:45am on Sunday back in Washington. We gained 15 hours on a flight into the sunshine. It never got dark. Doing the math, we left our hotel in Seattle "this morning" at 11am, and have been traveling for the past 22 hours. I'm sure we'll be out like a light when we turn off the lights here in a few minutes...but the kids are still pretty wired and excited to be here. But I'll get to that in a minute.

We started the day with bagels at one of our favorite breakfast spots...Panera Bread.


It was great to have Brent and Sandi Bailey & girls meet us at the hotel and accompany us to the airport so that they could take our car back to their new home on the "West Side", saving us all of that money in parking. We then stood in line for over 2 hours...it seemed everyone in the airport was flying Northwest. But we gave ourselves 3 hours, and weren't at all stressed. By the time we made it to our gate, we had just a few minutes to buy some Burger King for lunch, and walk it onto the plane.

These next two pictures tell the story of the past 15 hours...



I'm so pleased to report that the trip here was completely uneventful. We watched several movies, and everyone did just fine. Jamae was a peach, no fussing or tears whatsoever. All of our kids are great travelers. We had just over an hour in Tokyo, which would have been a challenge if we had to change terminals like we did when adopting Jamae. But we were so pleased to find that the gate was right in the same terminal, and made the connection no problem. The flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong was another four hours, during which it finally got dark. Jay slept much of the first flight from Seattle, and was awake the last leg. The rest of us slept most of the last four hour leg, as it was between 2am and 6am our "body time".

There were just a few more hurdles to clear. All of our luggage came through no problem. We sailed through immigration and customs. And flowed right out into the main concourse. We had the option of trying to track down the hotel shuttle, but I (Jody) made the decision to book a taxi (a minivan), and get us going right away. It was a great move, as we walked right into the vehicle, right to the hotel, and right up into our two rooms at the Novotel Citigate Hotel. It's a brand new hotel, and the accommodations are great.

The kids are showering up and settling down as I sit here get the blog updated.

We are back down to the lobby in just under 6 hours to catch the shuttle back to the airport. We fly out at 8:50am for our flight up to Fuzhou (which I'm guessing will be around a 2 hour flight). When we arrive in Fuzhou (pronounced "Foo-chow"), we will likely go first to the hotel...but that will depend on our guide. It's possible we'll go directly to the orphanage. Either way, we'll have Ming with us in 12-15 hours. The long journey to "get" Ming is winding down. And now begins the journey of the rest of our lives with him. The weight of the situation is enormous. And yet it's wonderfully light. We're ready. Now is the time. He's our boy...and it's time to get on with life together. God is so very good.

10 comments:

Scott Shaw said...

Jod - The 2nd service is winding down and I just read your blog. I/we are so excited for you all! I was moved to tears as I read the the journey is now winding down... and just beginning. How awesome God is! Praying for ya'll... gotta run to close the service!

-Scott

Pete said...

Dear Maddie,
We just arrived back in town from the Yakima Mid-summer Classics Soccer Tournament. We missed you! We took third place and coach has your medal.
Miss you!
LeAnna

Alisa said...

You are so right! It is definitely time for you to meet your new son! Like Scott said we are moved to tears and are anxiously awaiting news of his "arrival", or should I say your arrival.:) Anyway, we are praying. Love you all.

-Alisa

Marianne said...

I feel like we are all waiting to hear a new borns stats. Weight, time of birth, ect. Just can't wait to see a family picture with him in it with you. God is so good. Marianne

Shelley said...

It is Sunday about 8:01 PM Eastern time...I don't remember exactly when you get Ming...Can't wait to read all the exciting updates!! I'll be getting up during the night to check it out for sure!!!
Love to you all!!
Shelley

Mama Ohs said...

We are so excited for all of you! I keep checking your blog just in case there is any new developments. We will literally be jumping for joy the minute we hear that your new family is complete!

Jessica said...

Right on Bro (that's from Michael)!
We are so excited for you. Our prayers are especially with you during the next couple of hours. We love you guys so much!

-Jess, Michael and Mackenzie

Tiarnna said...

I am so thrilled that you are at this point in this journey! I have been watching the clock estimating that you are in the midst of getting to know the newest member of the family. I can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Sandi said...

Hey! so glad you managed to get all your connections and get out of that long line at the airport we left you in!! We are anxiously awaiting the news and pictures of Ming joining your family! God is SO good!!

Kooky said...

Ok Caryn and Jody. Your "travelmates" from getting Jamae are REALLLLLLLL interested in your getting Ming now! *waiting*

You must have him by now! Gosh I hope the transition for him is easy, like it was for our Matthew! Isn't the second time in China GREAT!?!??!?!

Kristen
http://crazykookybutallmine.blogspot.com