Thursday, June 19, 2008

News from Burkina Faso & Shopping For China

Here's the update Michael, our high school pastor, sent today:
Today was a good day. We visited an alliance church where they minister to Compassion International children every Thursday. We played with the kids. Our group in total adopted 6 of the children (60 of the 200 who come have not yet been adopted). Some got to meet their child. I adopted one for the youth group, but didn't get to meet her because she went home sick. Her name is Bereniece.
We went to the Bobo market. It was crazy. People all over you there. We had lunch at the Schaeffers' (son of Grace Church pastor in Cleveland, Ohio) and dinner at the Hulls' (missionaries working w/Obergs). We went to visit a group of believers who meet for discipleship on Thursday nights in Sacabe here near Bobo. 11 men came to faith just two weeks ago. They sang a bunch and we were welcomed by the former village chief (he had to give it up b/c of his faith). we met in his courtyard. We're all tired and going out to Sirasso tomorrow (about 3 hour drive - right near border of Mali) to paint their church and will do that tomorrow and Sat. - go to church there on Sunday and come back Monday morning, So, three nights in the bush. Everyone is feeling better here now, but very tired. Thanks for your prayers!

Sounds like all is going well. Thank you for your continued prayers for Jay. We sure are missing him but very glad he is there.
Today I did a mega shopping trip to get all the remaining things on our list for the trip. I had some "fun" trying to buy clothes for Ming. The last measurements we got on him were in September when he was a little shorter than Madison and the same weight as Mitchell. So...I tried to look guess on his size from that information. I ended up buying one size bigger than Mitchell figuring that if the clothes are too small for Ming, they will eventually fit Mitchell. I expect him to be quite thin. We plan on doing most of our clothes shopping for Ming in China and then when we get home, but I want a few things in his suitcase for him to see when he first gets to the hotel room. I had a lot of fun buying him a Nintendo DS lite. I don't know if he has any idea what that is, but 5 minutes with our family and he will quickly learn. So, one more week until we leave! Tomorrow we get our travel itinerary. We'll post it when we get it.

1 comment:

Mama Ohs said...

I can't believe it's almost time for you all to go and get him! What an amazing adventure this has been for all of you. I am very excited to meet him. We will continue to pray for all that is about to happen. YIIPPPEEEE!