Thursday, May 22, 2008

Great Sorrow


Maria Sue Chapman, 5 year old daughter of Steven Curtis & Marybeth Chapman, died yesterday after she was hit in her driveway by the car one of her brothers was driving. Apparently, she was outside playing and her brother did not even see her. What a horrible accident. The family was celebrating great joy this month. Maria celebrated her 5th birthday 10 days ago, oldest daughter Emily became engaged over the weekend, and oldest son Caleb is celebrating his high school graduation this week. How life changes in an instant! Please pray for their family as they mourn Maria's death but also as her brother deals with the great grief this accident has brought to his life.

Maria's adoption story is beautiful and of God. After the Chapman's had adopted Shaoey and Stevey Joy, Steven was in China visiting orphanages and was introduced to a beautiful little girl. When Steven inquired about her name, he was told her name was Maria. He was struck not only by such an unusual name in China, but the fact that years before he had written a song called, "Who will take care of Maria?" God spoke to Steven's heart that day and told him that Maria was to be in their family and they were to take care of her. God took care of Maria as he placed her in the Chapman family, just as I know God will take care of her family as they mourn her death.

The Chapman family has become very special to us. We have had the opportunity to meet SCC on two occasions, completely humbled by his love for his family and his compassion for the orphans of China and around the world. I remember when we met him the month before we brought home Jamae. He told us that our life would be forever changed through adoption and that once we went to China we would go back because part of our heart would still be there. How true are his words! Our life has been forever changed because of the Chapman family, because not only has their family been an inspiration to us in our adoptions but their foundation, Shaohannah's Hope, has helped fund both Jamae's and Ming's adoption.

If you feel moved, please consider honoring Maria and donating to the Maria Miracle Fund:
http://members.shaohannahshope.org


Meeting SCC right before we adopted Jamae



Introducing Jamae to Steven Curtis Chapman

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Caryn, thanks for making all of us aware of this tragedy. I went to his website and cried as I read the short obit. It hurts so badly to not understand why these things happen...death stinks, no matter how you slice it. Thank God for new life!

tookies2008 said...

Thanks for adding the tender tribute to Maria Sue. One of the first things I thought about when I heard about this was, oh my, the Bowsers must be heartbroken. I don't understand the need or the timing of it and it made me be in shock.I will continue to pray for the Chapman family. Thanks, Susan